Thursday, September 25, 2014

NAIL CARE ROUTINE


After giving myself a mini at-home manicure today, I thought I'd share what I do with you. Here is an overview of the things I use. Overall it takes me about 10-15 minutes (not including drying time) because I'm usually rushing and impatient. And I guess I should just put it out there that I am by no means a professional & don't know whether or not I'm even doing this the 'right' way but it works for me so...I guess that's all that matters. Let's get started!

Step 1: Trim & shape your nails
As you may or may not be able to tell, my nail clippers are actually a Revlon 2-in-1 'device' where one side is the usual curved edge & the other is straight across. I used to trim my nails in the natural U-shape but once I tried the straight edge, my mind was completely blown. Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic. But they look so much better! Of course that's my opinion but I think especially with shorter nails with maybe a pink or red polish, they look really cute. But the straight edge nail clippers leave sharp corners so don't forget to file them down carefully! I use a crystal nail file by Manicare & it took a while for me to get used to it but I really like it.

Step 2: Soak your hands in warm water
I fill my pink bowl that I got from IKEA with warm water and dunk my hands for about 3-5 minutes. I find that this helps later on when I'm pushing back my cuticles because they 'soften' the nail up a little.

Step 3: Revitanail Cuticle Remover Gel
Once I dry my hands off, I apply this Revitanail Cuticle Remover Gel around my nail beds and leave them on for about 3-5 minutes again. The package says to leave it on for 5 minutes, but you know, ain't nobody got time for that. Afterwards, I dunk each finger into the warm water again before gently pushing back my cuticles. I tried without dunking it and it didn't work as well so I guess that's a little tip there.

Step 4: Revitanail Nail Strengthener
This step is of course an optional one but for someone like me who likes to abuse her nails quite a bit, I find it quite useful. I picked up this Revitanail Nail Strengthener to help strengthen my nails and help them grow a little faster. The instructions say to apply a coat everyday for 4 days. Then after you remove it, you leave them to rest for a week. Then repeat this. But alas, I couldn't go an entire week without painting my nails (I know, I have an obsession), so I did it for 4 days, left them breathe for a while, and then painted them. The good thing about this product is that the results are quite evident almost straightaway.

Step 5: OPI Base Coat & Sally Hansen Top Coat
I think base & top coats are crucial in making your nail polish last longer. I use the OPI Base Coat and find that it helps to apply your nail polish a lot smoother. And I have hit the jackpot on top coats. I tried the Sally Hansen Mega Shine one & although it makes your nails super shiny & dries relatively quickly, I've been completely sold on the Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Top Coat. It's a lot more liquidy in consisteny compared to most top coats which are thicker and more gel-like. I was a little too chicken to touch my nails after a minute but they are definitely quick dry. I'd say 5 minutes, to be safe, 10.

Step 6: Sally Hansen Cuticle Rehab
Finally, the last step! We're almost there people! Although, I find myself skipping this step quite often, mainly because I paint my nails, wait for them to dry and am often off minding my own business. I considered maybe doing this before actually apply my nail polish but then it makes my fingers a little too oily and whatnot. But sometimes when I notice my cuticles getting a little too dry for my liking, I just squeeze a little of this Sally Hansen Cuticle Rehabon. Another problem with mine is that I have to squeeze real hard for stuff to actually come out, and when it does it just goes PLOOP and my fingers are covered in gel. The product itself is quite nice & it smells amazing.

So that basically sums up my entire nail care routine. I'm planning on doing a separate post on my favourite nail polishes because I'm quite the addict and have acquired quite a few in my stash. I also just wanted to quickly mention my nail polish remover, the Maybelline Express Remover. There's basically a sponge with a small hole in the middle which is all soaking in remover. Then you just shove your finger in and swirl it around. You pull your finger out & bam! The nail polish is gone! :-) I absolutely love this and am already on my second bottle. Goes to show how much I apply, remove & reapply nail polish.

I hope this was a useful post and as always, I'm always open to suggestions to try new products so please leave comments down below!

Love Always,
Anna Banana ♡

3 comments:

  1. Awh, great routine! I love painting my nails too, but often it gets bumped down my priority list. =( I have one of those special sponge remover things! I don't think it is Maybelline, but it is exactly like that. =) I would love a post on your nail polishes! I have a ton too. lol =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I totally understand. Once you paint them, you can't do anything for the next few hours! Those sponges really are a lifesaver. And stay tuned for a nail polish collection post! Thanks again! xx

      Delete
  2. Empowering extraordinary women one post at a time

    Living Worth Magazine can be every woman’s best friend, as we offer you wise advices and helpful information that will help each of you maximize the potential of your personal lifestyle.

    To get extraordinary lifestyle tips visit us at: www.LivingWorthMagazine.com

    ReplyDelete